Wednesday, May 3, 2023

 Ever since I was a young kid, I loved science. Biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, paleontology, and many more fields all captured my deep interest. I read science books like the How and Why Wonder series.






Tied to them, I also read science fiction, mostly at first by Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, and Arthur C. Clarke. Their stories seemed grounded in science, so it was natural that I gravitated toward them.

I also enjoyed a marvelous biology teacher in high school, Mr. Anthony Kramer, who infused humor and wit with his lessons that taught us nearly college level material. In his class, I was also introduced to films of The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, narrated by Twilight Zone creator Rod Serling. In chemistry classes with Mr. John Geiselman, we were treated to black and white episodes of physics lessons taught by Cornell University professor Harvey E. White.







My family graciously kept me going with a home chemistry set and microscope, not to mention a unique set of encyclopedias. I watched the moon landings on TV, and learned from the ABC science consultant Jules Bergman. All of these things bolstered my growing fascination with the scientific method and its results. 

My academic life stretched from a small town junior college to the University of Minnesota in St. Paul & Minneapolis to graduate school at the University of Wisconsin - LaCrosse. There and afterward, I experienced research in government, industry, and university laboratories across a wide spectrum of fields. In each instance, the work environment put me in direct contact with a variety of interdisciplinary teams with scientists from around the globe.

I hope to share my enthusiasm and continued interest in science based on these experiences, with real news reports that whet my appetite even now. 

No comments: